Who: 4th and 5th graders may join
What: A book club which will compete in the Helen Ruffin Reading Bowl
When: Once a week during lunch
Where: In the media center/library
Why: This club is for students who LOVE a good story and are excellent readers!
If you join then your assignment is to read these books over a two-week period. Set your own pace to be able to reach the goal of completing the book in two weeks or sooner. You may choose to read a few chapters a night or more. We will meet once a week to discuss the book.
You will need to keep a reading/writing journal. In this journal, you will record notes about each book and ten quiz questions (with the page number where the answer is found). These questions will be used to quiz your peers in order to prepare for the competition. We will also play Kahoot to test our knowledge of these books.
Below is the book start date and end date (when you should be finished with that book)
September 3, 2017
The Wild Robot. By Brown, Peter.
September 16, 2017
September 17, 2017
Once Was a Time. By Sales, Leila.
September 30, 2017
October 1, 2017
House Arrest. By Holt, K.A.
October 14, 2017
October 15, 2017
Pax. By Pennypacker, Sara.
October 28, 2017
October 29, 2017
What Elephants Know. By Dinerstein, Eric.
November 11, 2017
November 12, 2017
When Friendship Followed Me Home. By Griffin, Paul.
November 25, 2017
November 26, 2017
Ms. Bixby’s Last Day. By Anderson, John David.
December 9, 2017
December 10, 2017
Free Choice Books
December 30, 2017
January 1, 2018
Drowned City: Hurricane Katrina and New Orleans. (graphic novel) By Brown, Don.
January 8, 2018
Helen Ruffin Reading Bowl Competition in January – Date TBA
*Only 5 students can be on the Ison team. These students will be chosen by who has the highest AR quiz scores for the most books read. We can have 5 more students as alternates. You can join the book club without going to competition (just for the fun of reading).
These books can be found online in MackinVIA which is available to all Ison Springs students. Username is your student ID # and your password is your birthday (mm/dd/yyyy).
Prizes: Read 4 books get a super cool goody bag!
Read 8 books get a free reading bowl T-Shirt!
Read all 20 books get a raffle ticket for an Owl Crate Jr. Box!
Helen Ruffin Reading Bowl Book List
The elementary students have a book list from the Helen Ruffin Reading Bowl. These books are nominated for the Georgia Children’s Book Award. This year we will have an elementary team enter the competition.
1. Pax. By Pennypacker, Sara.
2. What Elephants Know. By Dinerstein, Eric.
3. The Seventh Most Important Thing. By Pearsall, Shelley.
4. All Rise for the Honorable Perry T. Cook. By Connor, Leslie.
5. When Friendship Followed Me Home. By Griffin, Paul.
6. Mayday. By Harrington, Karen.
7. House Arrest. By Holt, K.A.
8. The Best Man. By Peck, Richard.
9. As Brave As You. By Reynolds, Jason.
10. Once Was a Time. By Sales, Leila.
11. Wolf Hollow. By Wolk, Lauren.
12. Projekt 1065 By Gratz, Alan.
13. Waiting for Augusta. By Lawson, Jessica.
14. Lily and Dunkin. By Gephart, Donna.
15. Drowned City: Hurricane Katrina and New Orleans. (graphic novel) By Brown, Don.
16. Nine, Ten: A September 11 Story. By Bahkin, Nora Raleigh.
17. The Wild Robot. By Brown, Peter.
18. Ms. Bixby’s Last Day. By Anderson, John David.
19. Unidentified Suburban Object. By Jung, Mike.
20. Footer Davis Probably is Crazy. By Vaught, Susan.
M.E.T.I. - Media and Educational Technology Instructor